Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, February 24, 2023

Coolidge: Last of the Founding-Era Presidents

Since it is President’s Day, I thought I might as well post up my prepared remarks presented last Friday in Washington at the Coolidge Foundation conference that marked the centennial of Calvin Coolidge’s ascension to the White House following the death of Warren Harding. Amity Shlaes, Coolidge’s best biographer, challenged me to make the case that Coolidge belongs on Mount Rushmore, which I was only too happy to accept. As usual I departed substantially from my prepared text here, as is my usual practice in conference settings, but I forgot to record it as I had intended for use as a podcast. (C-SPAN recorded the event, but I don’t think it has aired yet.)...........We could use presidents today who have this disposition. If the United States had a Mount Rushmore for intrinsic republican greatness, Coolidge would deserve to go up first..............To Read More

 

No comments:

Post a Comment