Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Slum by the Bay

John Stossel Feb 07, 2019

San Francisco is one of the richest cities it the world. It's given us music, technology and elegant architecture.  Now it gives us filthy homeless encampments.  One urban planner told me, "I just returned from the Tenderloin (a section of San Francisco). It's worse than slums of India, Haiti, Africa!"  So I went to San Francisco to make a video about that.  I've never seen slums in Africa, but I've seen them in Haiti and India.

What I saw in San Francisco looked similar. As one local resident put it, "There's s--- everywhere. It's just a mess out here."  There's also lots of mental illness. One man told us, "Vampires are real. I'm paranoid as hell." San Francisco authorities mostly leave the mentally ill to fend for themselves on the street.

Other vagrants complain about them. "They make it bad for people like us that hang out with a sign," one beggar told us.  San Francisco is a pretty good place to "hang out with a sign." People are rarely arrested for vagrancy, aggressive panhandling or going to the bathroom in front of people's homes. In 2015, there were 60,491 complaints to police, but only 125 people were arrested..........To Read More....

No comments:

Post a Comment