I don’t really
care if you want to stand with Mitch McConnell in his re-election. I hope you
might go with Matt Bevin, but I’m not going to get worked up over it. I’m
excited to support Matt Bevin. Likewise, I’m very pleased to support Chris
McDaniel in Mississippi against Thad Cochran, who has been Mississippi’s
Senator since I was three years old. But I’m not going to be upset if you
don’t.
There is a
whole lot of outrage at the Senate Conservatives Fund for endorsing Matt Bevin
today. I will personally be sending SCF more money to help with their fight.
There was, likewise, a lot of angst over Club for Growth throwing in with Chris
McDaniel. I’ll have to remember to send them some money too. I think many of the Republicans in Washington
need to be replaced. It is not that they are liberal and my picks are
conservative. It’s that I think we can do better. It’s that I think they have
lost touch with their base and many of them have been corrupted by their long
tenure in Washington.. . . ‘please
click here for the rest of the post’
The Abortion Truce Trap
The Abortion Truce Trap
We social
conservatives are often counseled to not fight on “divisive” social issues as
they are presumed to be losers. Take for instance abortion. As early as 1996, a
“truce” was declared within the GOP on the subject to soft pedal opposition to
the normalization of in utero
infanticide. In an article titled GOP Strikes Truce on Abortion Issue, CNN covered the machinations of the
pro-abort faction of the GOP to torpedo the pro-life language in the GOP
platform even:. . . ‘please
click here for the rest of the post’
Chuck Schumer Introduces the ‘McConnell Rule’
Chuck Schumer Introduces the ‘McConnell Rule’
Last week, I noted
that Mitch McConnell’s slick
debt ceiling plan would pave the road for permanently abolishing the debt
limit, as long as members would get a ceremonial vote of disapproval. Well, it
didn’t take long for the idea to grow roots. On Meet the Press, Chuck
Schumer, who has
enthusiastically praised McConnell for doing his bidding, announced that he would introduce legislation
echoing the “McConnell rule.” ‘. . . please click here for the rest
of the post ’
The Tea Party vindication
The Tea Party vindication
Tea Party
supporters are supposed to be disheartened by how the great shutdown saga
turned out. We’re back where we started, following an expense of political
capital that achieved nothing, with polls showing damage to the Republican
“brand.” Worse, the balance of power in our representative government has
permanently shifted toward the executive branch. The legislature is now
virtually powerless. Raising the debt ceiling is a hollow ritual to be
performed every few months. Continuing resolutions to fund the no-budget
government will continue, on automatic pilot, forever. The House will never
dare exert its entirely hypothetical “power of the purse” again.
The oversight
functions of the legislature aren’t looking too healthy, either. They hold
hearings that never go anywhere, at which Administration officials feel no
compulsion to speak honestly, if they even bother to show up. Documents
demanded by House committees languish in bureaucratic dungeons for years. Every
investigation is stonewalled until the media can declare it “old news.”....... The
system has been growing larger, and more corrupt, for a very long time. Power
and money have been squirreled away in the dark corners of bureaucratic mazes
for decades. The system can defend itself from assault. It has many
private-sector supporters, who grow very wealthy by manipulating it.......people
on the lower end of the income scale who consider themselves beneficiaries of
the system’s generosity as well...... What sane person celebrates such
conditions? . . . ‘please click here for the
rest of the post ’
Wireless Spectrum: Free Market or Rigged Market?
Wireless Spectrum: Free Market or Rigged Market?
Guest post by
Geoffrey A. Manne
Neil Stevens (Diary) |
The
debates over mobile spectrum aggregation and the auction rules for the FCC’s upcoming incentive auction — like
all regulatory rent-seeking — can be farcical. One aspect of the debate in
particular is worth highlighting, as it puts into stark relief the
tendentiousness of self-interested companies making claims about the public
interestedness of their preferred policies: The debate over how and whether to
limit the buying and aggregating of lower frequency (in this case 600 MHz)
spectrum.
......Two
birds, one stone: lower your costs, raise your competitor’s costs.....The lesson is this: If we want 600 MHz spectrum to be used
efficiently to provide rural LTE service, we should assume that the highest
bidder will make the most valuable use of the spectrum. The experience of the
relatively unrestricted 700 MHz auction in 2008 confirms this. The purchase of
700 MHz spectrum by AT&T and Verizon led to the US
becoming the world leader in LTE. Why mess with success?. . . ‘please click here for the
rest of the post ’
No comments:
Post a Comment