Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Thought For the Day

By Rich Kozlovich

In the 1940's and 1950's the popular TV shows were all predicated on supporting the American Dream.  One of them was The Life of Riley with William Bendix, playing "blundering Chester A. Riley, a wing riveter at the fictional Cunningham Aircraft plant in California. His frequent exclamation of indignation—"What a revoltin' development this is!"  

That was another of those great catchphrases that became iconic in the 40's and 50's.  Bendix wasn't a big star before this, but he worked regularly, and he was a regular guy who married his childhood sweetheart, Theresa Stefanotti, and stayed married to her from 1927 until his unfortunate early death in 1964 at 58.  

His view of it all was:

“Save a buck or two and keep on acting – that's me.”.......“I've had a long........ varied, pleasant, eventful career. I don't hate anybody and I don't have any bitter thoughts. I started out without any advantages, but I've been lucky and successful and I've had fun.” 

Now that's a thought for the day worth having! 


No comments:

Post a Comment