Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Teachers’ unions are upping their demands before they’ll agree to teach

July 31, 2020 By Andrea Widburg

Teachers’ unions, which invariably hew hard left, have seen the Wuhan virus as an opportunity. They’ve insisted that, before their members return to school, communities need to make some promises, such as shutting down the competition (i.e., charter schools), giving illegal aliens full medical benefits, testing everyone in the entire community around the school for free, and so on.

Now, though, they’re going one better: The unions are insisting that teachers shouldn’t be required to teach either in the classroom or, if at all possible, online although they should still get paid. I am exaggerating only slightly.

First, let me state my bias: My dad, a Democrat, was a public school teacher from the 1960s through the 1980s. He routinely came home from union meetings apoplectically angry because the union wanted to dumb down the curriculum. (Teaching in Ebonics was already bruited about then.)

I was an urban public school student in the 1960s and 1970s, which meant I saw incompetent teachers get lifetime sinecures thanks to the unions. I was also the parent of public school students for most of the last two decades . . . and nothing had changed.

I am not a fan of the teachers’ unions, nor am I a fan of the fact that the unions encourage teachers to view themselves as perpetual victims. I know with certainty that there are wonderful, dedicated, inspired, hard-working, creative, intelligent teachers out there. My dad was one, and I’ve met so many others. If you are one of those teachers, I salute you.

However, the great teachers are too often offset by teachers (women I've known going back to kindergarten) who flood my Facebook feed with their union-created posts. These posts make teaching elementary school sound worse than slaving in a Siberian gulag, being on a road crew in Texas in the summer, or working a 40-hour week stocking shelves at Lowes.

So you’re all clear now: I am biased...............To Read More....

Also:

No comments:

Post a Comment