Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Monday, November 7, 2022

Art is in the Eye of the Beholder - Or - The Blind Leading the Blind

“A work of art which isn’t based on feeling isn’t art at all.” – Paul Cézanne

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pLIuFEt2p2w/X0pYX_kt1PI/AAAAAAAADAU/EdtdCWebrnMzJ2R5C6DcUUfdz52gM57uACK4BGAYYCw/w41-h54/My%2BPicture%2B2.jpg By Rich Kozlovich 

Personally, I have no idea what people see in modern art, abstract art, or whatever it's called.  And it's been my view for decades Picasso and his ilk stunk as painters, but were amazingly brilliant as self promoters. Their stuff is ugly, and incomprehensible. I'm not all that crazy with impressionist art either. 

After all the clabber I've read and heard about how this stuff is "inspirational", I find it ironic that a Mondrian painting has been hanging upside down for 75 years, and it will have to stay that way or it may become damaged.  I have no idea who Mondrian was, and now that I've seen his work, I have do desire to know who he was. 

I  have to ask.  If art is based on feeling, what in the world was Mondrian feeling?  Here's a picture of the piece in question.

Two men inspect the painting New York City I  by Piet Mondrian shown in the exhibition Piet Mondrian - Vom Abbild zum Bild  at the Museum Ludwig in Cologne, Germany in 2007. 
 
Wow, so it's upside down?  Really?  How can anyone tell?  Now, what could be more inspirational than that?  But why would hanging it right side up damage it?  
 
“The adhesive tapes are already extremely loose and hanging by a thread,” Meyer-Büser said. “If you were to turn it upside down now, gravity would pull it into another direction. And it’s now part of the work’s story.” 
 
Wait, did I understand that correctly, it's all adhesive tape?  And it hangs in a museum? For inspiration?  Imagine that.  
 
It's been said there's no accounting for taste and no questioning it. Well, if they're talking about food, I agree entirely. If we're talking about art, I have to wonder if it's inappropriate to question whether of not people who think this is "art", and worth being hung in an art museum, have a screw loose.
 
Now, if we subscribe to Paul Cézanne's definition of art...this is art..... and not one person on the planet can mistake how it's to be hung.  More Norman Rockwell.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment