Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, October 24, 2014

Motivation and Balance

By Rich Kozlovich

On October 23rd, the President & Executive Producer- Studio Fox 44, Mark Welch, wrote an article entitled: Too Much Motivation?  Is it Possible?  He noted that;

Between Facebook and Twitter, I think if I read one more motivational post by the forementioned (sic) network's participants. 

He went on to say;

 “I may be raptured. Or... ruptured.  I think I have read and consumed every variation of charisma, motivation and opinion that could possibly stay within the boundaries of modern mathematics. After years of consumption and digestion... am I getting indigestion?”

I had to laugh, because I read a great many of these kinds of motivational articles posted on LinkedIn, including how to get a job, how to keep a job, how to be happy when fired, how to be happy when not being fired, how to anticipate what the boss is going to do,  and how to be ready with just the right thing to say for every conceivable situation.  All by people who look like they’re under thirty. 

Although he realizes that motivation is important and “a good thing”, he makes the valid observation that when you “get too much….you'll puke!”  Much like eating too much of your favorite pie.  He points out that you can over saturate a sponge, and it seems clear to me that he’s right.  His point is – “Receptionary quality is always better than receptionary quantity.  Even coming from the motivators.

He points out that a “Prudent balance within your life is always... not just a plus, but a MUST!” Since I agree I couldn’t understand why I had some instinctual misgivings about this missive.  Then I realized - I was thinking like those people who have to motivate other people in order to get things done, such as managers, owners of companies, or even those involved with industry trade associations, especially those kinds of trade associations where the work is all done pro bono.   People in those situations need to be motivated and need to motivate others in order to attain important goals.  So I realized what instinctually bothered me - there wasn’t a viable solution presented in the article for the motivator.  I have one.   

Motivation should be tied to tasks.  Motivate people to attain certain goals, and when those goals are met make sure to measure out the appropriate rewards – which should absolutely include praise, especially public praise, but could also include additional benefits, raises, bonuses, or promotions.  The greatest motivation for employees is financial – tied in with security.  Money may not be the number one reason someone comes to or stays at your company.  They may just find in your company the comfort zone they absolutely need in their lives, but ultimately the money is what they’re there for.  If the quality of a motivational program is high the quantity can and should be low.

One more thing!  Fire all negative employees.  That’s a huge motivator for those who remain.  You may also enjoy perusing The Rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment