Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, August 30, 2013

Finding racism where it’s not as blatant, and inventing it where it’s not present

By TIMOTHY P. CARNEY | AUGUST 29, 2013
Falsely crying racism for political gain is a good way to make some people believe racism doesn’t exist any more.
I said that on Twitter this morning and was treated to a barrage of inanity from liberal writers like Matt Yglesias and Oliver Willis. But the point I made is true and important. I’ll elaborate here.
Here’s one problem I think we face in American race relations: Many people, including a lot of white conservatives, operate under the assumption that racism isn’t really a problem in America today.
We don’t have slavery, lynching, or whites-only bathrooms anymore, and in my experience almost all decent adults aspire to treat people equally regardless of the color of their skin. I wrote “aspire to.” I don’t think most of us are always successful at this effort of treating all of God’s children as equals, but we try, and every year, as a society, we succeed a little bit more, I think....To Read More.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment