Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Going Green - What’s it all about?

By Rich Kozlovich

I never read a book, other than a comic book, until I was fifteen. From that point on reading became a passion for me and I have been an avid reader ever since. Winston Churchill’s, “The Valiant Years” and “To Kill a Mockingbird” were two of my favorites at that time. I even gave an oral book report on, “The Ugly American”, which was extremely popular in the early sixties. Impossible as an oral book report, although I got a “B” on the report because the teacher was impressed that I made the attempt and was able to answer her questions. I still remember giving that report because it was really stinko.

However, I never liked school and could only be described as a poor student and a trouble maker, so perhaps I missed something in class about profitability, responsibility, intelligence, courage, and persistence, clarity of vision and what those qualities have to do with real leadership. One thing I know for sure; I didn’t miss anything about common sense; so will someone once again please explain to me why we want to be green?

Somehow, everyone has lost sight of what the goal of a for-profit company should be. Profit! The business of business is to do business. Business is not in business to do good! If you do good business then you can distribute those profits and the stockholders can then do whatever darn good they choose. Especially since “doing good” is highly subjective.

This article isn’t really about politics or environmentalism, although both are the vehicles for that which really is the one truly relevant issue always facing us; truth. In an old article of mine I quoted Ben Franklin’s famous saying, “Truth will very patiently wait for us”. A prominent Ohio pest control operator, who can only kindly be described as being “green”, took offence with my article and challenged me with this question, “What is truth?”

Well, here is my view as to what constitutes truth.

Truth is that which is supported by facts, supported by events, past and present. Truth is that which can stand the test of time under the scrutiny of honest researchers…..meaning everyone, not just scientists; especially those who haven’t become contaminated by government grant money. Truth should bear some resemblance to what we see going on in reality. Truth should have a history. Spin and the “latest philosophical flavors of the day” are unlikely to be truth.

This brings me to this point. Who decided we should become green? I see it being promoted in the trades all the time. Why is it we never see articles in the trades that show the devastation that becoming green causes?

Here is an interesting quote that I would like to share with everyone that explains much of what “going green” is all about.
"The youthful following, attracted by the romantic radicalism and emotional appeal of the "movement" became a significant factor" ... "Youth was indignant over the difficult and frequently unfair conditions of life, the manifold limitations of the times. The "movement" provided them with an outlet" ... "They protested against the seeming inertia of the politicians of the older generation..." "It was a truly religio-psychological phenomenon. Just as the concept of "belief" occupied a central place.." "Hitler appeared as the exponent of a new sense of life. - K.D. Bracher
If we were to replace “Environmentalism”, with “Hitler” would the description be any different? Being “green” in pest control is like having two diametrically opposing views in your head at the same time and believing they are both correct. This has been described as insanity, because to be green is to be irrational and misanthropic….and that is truth.

Comments will not be accepted that are rude, crude, stupid or smarmy. Nor will I allow ad hominem attacks or comments from anyone who is "Anonymous”.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment