Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Suffering for Science: Why I Have Insects Sting Me to Create a Pain Index

by Entomology Today

Over the past 40 years (but in reality since I was five years old), I’ve been fascinated with insects and their ability to sting and cause pain. In graduate school, I became interested in why they sting and why stings from such tiny animals hurt so much.  To answer these questions, we first needed a way to measure pain – so, I invented the insect pain scale. The scale is based on a thousand or so personal stings from over 80 insect groups, plus ratings by various colleagues.

 Insects sting to improve their lives and increase their opportunities. The stings provide protection, thereby opening doors to more food resources, expanded territories, and social life within colonies. By studying stinging insects, we gain insight into our own lives and the societies we live in.…

Read more of this post

My Take - I think he's being a bit anthropomorphic, and clearly he's .....well..... "unique", but it's an interesting article. 


No comments:

Post a Comment