Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Winning Issue: Abortion and Pascal’s Wager

streiff (Diary) |

“I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

Shortly before Virginia Attorney General and gubernatorial hopeful was routed by Clinton bagman Terry McAuliffe I posted The Abortion Truce Trap. In it I noted that while Cuccinelli was being bombarded with, as it turned out, several million dollars in ads attacking his position on abortion, he was refusing to attack McAuliffe’s support for unbridled infanticide.

I quote Maggie Gallagher who summarized the problem of conservative candidates running away from an issue that has roughly 70% support in the electorate:....... The decision should be easy. Abortion is criminal. There is no medical reason for abortion. Late term abortion is indistinguishable from infanticide. Abortion has nothing to do with women’s rights and everything to do with how we value the most vulnerable members of our society. Every culture that has embrace abortion has inevitably moved on to embraced post-partum infanticide and euthanasia.  There is no reason our candidates should refuse to take a stand against abortion, but especially against late term abortion. It is not only moral, it is good politics......The 17th century French mathematician, Blaise Pascal, devised an interesting argument for moral behavior now called Pascal’s Wager:

“God is, or He is not.” But to which side shall we incline? Reason can decide nothing here. There is an infinite chaos which separated us. A game is being played at the extremity of this infinite distance where heads or tails will turn up. What will you wager? According to reason, you can do neither the one thing nor the other; according to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.....To Read More...

My Take – The quote that starts this article is from Revelation 3:15-16.  I know, I know - everyone already knew that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment