Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Minimum Wage Increases Harm the Young, Unskilled, and Less Educated

by Hans Bader on December 12, 2013
Minimum wage increases eliminate some jobs. Real world examples abound. As a business owner explains:
The minimum wage kills jobs. End of story. I am a perfect example. I run a very successful financial advisory practice, and I would gladly hire two or three teens to work for me personally. But I will not do it at the minimum wage. They simply don’t bring enough economic benefit to warrant me paying them that much. So, what’s the end result? Two or three teens go without a job and instead do nothing. No job. No experience. No learning. Nothing.
I personally know at least a dozen seniors in high school and freshmen in college who would jump at the opportunity to work with me for nothing, let alone $3 per hour or $5 per hour. All of the ancillary skills and benefits would far outweigh any wage they may earn. Yet, the minimum wage laws prevent this from happening. And instead they are just unemployed – economic casualties.
Warren Meyer of Recreation Resource Management, Inc., has also been prevented from hiring people because of the minimum age, as he chronicles at this link……To Read More…..

No comments:

Post a Comment