Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Backyard Chickens Are Fun, Until the Vomiting and Diarrhea Begin

By Alex Berezow — July 27, 2017  

As part of the "natural is better" movement, many Americans -- particularly those who live in the city and know absolutely nothing about agriculture -- have decided that playing farmer is a fun pastime. It certainly can be a fun hobby... that is, until the vomiting and diarrhea begin.
The CDC reports that 10 separate Salmonella outbreaks, affecting 48 states and DC, has sickened 790 people and hospitalized at least 174. The outbreaks have been linked to hatcheries where people handled ducklings and chicks.

Chickens and other poultry can carry Salmonella. Not only can this pathogen be found in their feces and environment, it can also be found on egg shells. That's why, according to Live Science, the USDA implemented shell cleaning measures in the 1970s to help reduce the likelihood of a Salmonella infection...........To Read More.....

Source: "Multistate Outbreaks of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry in Backyard Flocks, 2017." CDC. Published: 13-Jul-2017.
Source: Remy Melina. "How Does Salmonella Get Inside Eggs?" Live Science

Related articles:

USDA Intervenes To Force Organic Chicken Farmers To Be More Humane

My Take - I have no doubt over what's presented here, but I'm 71 and I grew up on a farm where we raised chickens, pigs and had our own milk cow and drank the milk - raw. I handled the peeps the adult chickens, collected eggs, went into the chicken coop and barn, etc.  We never had a problem with any of this stuff and I keep wondering why. 

First off....I believe all this "all natural go back to nature" propaganda is dangerous.  I believe drinking raw milk is dangerous and I believe this all natural stuff spreads disease unnecessarily.  But I keep wondering what the infection rates were before.  I know they existed because even as a kid we were taught pasteurized milk prevented tuberculosis.  But we drank raw milk anyway, as many of our neighbors+.  The salmonella situation was alien to us then, but I'm sure it was there.  So where am I going with this?  What I'm wondering is this:  Is it worse now than before?  And if so - why?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment