Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Ted Cruz: Constitutional Conservative?

By Dan Phillips, on February 9th, 2016

In the past few years I have noticed an increase in the use of the term constitutional conservative, usually to describe a candidate or politician who is associated with the Tea Party or is otherwise generally considered “more” conservative by degree. I have seen this term used a lot lately to describe Sen. Ted Cruz, the recent winner of the Iowa caucus. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don’t recall this term being much used prior to a few years ago which is why I noted it with some curiosity as it began to appear more frequently. Jack Hunter also notes the newness of the term in this article from 2012.

Presumably, a constitutional conservative is one who believes the U.S. Constitution should be strictly interpreted and abided by as originally intended by the Framers. Quaint notion, I know, but what confuses me about the sudden appearance of this term, is that there already exists a perfectly workable term to describe this political position. Such people have previously been called constitutionalists......

To Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment