Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Renewable Energy’s Reversal of Fortune

Marita Noon | Jun 02, 2013
“They told us the wind turbines were going to be good for the city; that our electric rates would go down. But that hasn’t happened. They keep putting up more and more of them and they are getting closer to the neighborhoods where you hear the noise all night while you are trying to sleep. Plus,” Monica told me last week during my Palm Springs vacation, “they look horrible; like a junk yard. It totally ruins our mountain views!”
I met Monica in a store where she works. When she found out that I write on energy issues, she told me her story. Her electric bills run as high as $7-800 a month in the summer for a 1600 square foot home. “I work for the electric company,” she said. “Everything I have goes to pay my bill.” With her bills so high, Monica got behind. She’s been on a payment plan for three years and doesn’t see any hope of ever getting caught up. Instead of using air conditioning, she uses the swamp cooler whenever possible—but with temperatures above 100 most of the summer, the AC is essential. She’s cut back use of the pool pump. “The pool’s not crystal clear,” she told me, “but my bill is a little less.”
No one could have predicted the reversal of fortunes the renewable energy industry is facing….To Read More…..
My Take – Actually there were a large number of people that predicted this kind of economic insanity….including me, and that was an easy prediction.  First, it was clear that all these ‘alternative’ energy programs could only exist if they received massive tax breaks, grants or subsidies.  That means simply they were not economically viable and everyone involved had to know that.  It was also clear that they couldn’t possible produce enough energy to meet current demands let alone future demands.  Technological and economical disasters should have been obvious to the most casual observers.   Going green means believing the un-believable and accepting the unacceptable, however not all is lost, because the beginning of wisdom is the price of energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment