Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Genetics Errors in Supreme Court Decision

By Ricki Lewis, PhD, Posted: June 13, 2013
Earlier today, my “in” box began to fill with info from everyone I’ve ever met letting me know that the Supreme Court had ruled on the Myriad case about patenting the breast cancer genes BRCA1 and BRCA2. I also received a dozen pitches from PR people offering me all manner of instant interviews with lawyers, doctors, bioethicists, and health care analysts.

No one offered me an interview with a geneticist – a person who knows something about DNA. So being such a person myself, I decided to take a look at the decision. And I found errors – starting right smack in the opening paragraph…..To Read More….
My Take Ok….have you read the article?  Have you read the comments?   Which is important in this instance!   Have your eyes rolled back into your head yet?  After reading the whole thing I have come to the conclusion that you can’t patent human genes ….unless you can.  Got that?  There are a few things that are clear.  The courts are completely 0ut of their intellectual depth, the science of genetics is remarkably complex and the writer and those posting comments are correcting  -  or at the very least expanding  - on the comments already made, and finally….this ruling isn’t the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment