Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Sunday, April 14, 2024

An Inaccurate – But at Least Not Hypocritical – Leftist

An Inaccurate – But at Least Not Hypocritical – Leftist

Our friends on the left are often very hypocritical. I’ve written many times, for instance, about statist politicians who oppose school choice while sending their kids to private schools

I’ve also shared columns about hypocrisy on issues such as the environment, pandemic, and minimum wage.

And, given my interest in fiscal policy, I especially enjoy mocking the leftists who urge higher taxes yet fail to lead by example.

In some cases, they aggressively seek to minimize their taxes (Joe Biden, John Kerry, and Hillary Clinton). In other cases, they say they want to pay more but don’t take the simple step that would make that happen (Elizabeth Warren).

That being said, not every leftist is a hypocrite. Some do lead by example.

Here are some excerpts from a New York Times column by Matthew Desmond, a Princeton sociologist.


Alejandro Narváez is OK taking less. …when it comes to paying taxes, he forgoes many deductions…filing his taxes with TurboTax, not to save money but to lose it. “I see it as my responsibility to pay my fair share of taxes,” Mr. Narváez, who is 70, told me. “I have so many opportunities to reduce my taxes, but I choose not to.” …this time of year also provides us the opportunity to ask ourselves: Is it ethical to take tax breaks that primarily make the rich richer? …

Besides the occasional statement from liberal elites asking to be taxed more, many of the biggest beneficiaries of the government’s largess have done very little to bring about fair tax reform. Why do we keep waiting for Congress to act when we could effectively tax ourselves more by following Mr. Narváez’s example and refusing to take some deductions? …

My family has struggled with this question. …I have criticized the mortgage-interest deduction… My family qualifies for this ridiculous deduction. But we don’t want it. …So we’ve decided to create that society in miniature form, and with full recognition that we have the privilege of doing so, by donating what we receive from the mortgage-interest deduction to affordable housing initiatives on top of our regular giving. …

I honestly don’t know if it’s better to donate tax deductions or, like Mr. Narváez, refuse them outright. I only know that it feels unfair to keep it all for ourselves. …Imagine if we all came to view tax breaks not as entitlements but as money that is not rightfully ours.

Kudos to Mr. Narváez and Mr. Desmond for putting their money where their mouths are.

I think it’s crazy to give more money to the nation’s most venal and corrupt people, but at least they’re not hypocrites.

However, I can’t resist pointing out that Mr. Desmond made several inaccurate statements in his column.

For instance, he echoes Joe Biden’s laughably dishonest assertion about tax rates.

…tax breaks benefit the billionaire class, which has the lowest effective tax rate in the country.

He also doesn’t understand (or doesn’t care) that both dividends and capital gains are example of double taxation.

…dividends and capital gains…are taxed at lower rates than other sources of income

And the same is true with regards to the death tax.

U.S. law allows wealth to be passed onto heirs almost tax-free.

Last but not least, he regurgitates the leftist trope that being allowed to keep your own money is a subsidy or handout.

…money the country dedicates to subsidizing private affluence.

Though I guess we need to acknowledge that at least they are being honest about their radical agenda.

P.S. Here’s the humor version of leftist hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment