Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Conservatism vs. Liberalism: William F. Buckley, Jr. vs. George McGovern Debate (1997)

By Rich Kozlovich

I've included this debate in the Firing Line series I intend to run for some time.  This was especially interesting because we now have the value of time for a proper evaluation of what's being said here.

It seems to me George McGovern - as an historian - suffered from many of the same problems other historians are afflicted with - a convenient view of history - and not always as he says - the truth. I especially appreciated Buckley's refutation of the Woodrow Wilson quote by McGovern, while accurate, yet when viewed in it's chronological context - it was a lie of omission.  I also think it's worth watching this debate to pick out the logical fallacies. 

Please enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment