Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, July 1, 2016

Commentary: I was too cool for bug spray; now I have Zika


I was in Jamaica last week to attend a friend's wedding. I'd previously lived there for five years while I was pursuing my medical degree. Because I once lived there, I still consider myself a local when I visit, and like some local people, I didn't use mosquito repellent. My comfort level overruled my judgment, and now I have Zika.  Maybe you've used some of these excuses, though likely not about Zika: "No need for this smelly bug spray" or "I lived here for years and never got chikungunya, why would I get Zika?" or even, "It's not like I'm planning to have a baby any time soon."   Zika is usually a mild virus, and people rarely die from it. For pregnant women, though, it's more serious, as Zika can cause microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects......To Read More.....

Sensing Too Much Zika Exposure, Golfers Continue Olympic Exodus, Now that Jason Day, the world's No. 1 golfer, said he'll skip the Rio Olympics due to concerns over the Zika virus, given the overall exodus of golfers it seems like it's an appropriate time to ask this simple question: Why are pro golfers the predominant group of athletes bailing from the Games? One who withdrew this week gives us some insight. Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment