Friday, December 10, 2010

Pretty Good! For a Bug Man!

By Rich Kozlovich

Many years ago I became friends with guy who was a manager of a chicken sandwich restaurant. This account was part of a very large franchise business with quality people as their owners and managers. I never met one who wasn’t pleasant and well mannered.  I mention this to give impetus to what I am about to say. A number of us were sitting in his dining room one morning having coffee, and solving the world’s problems, when I made some cogent observation that impressed him. He said to me; “Wow, that’s pretty good for a bug man”! In turn I said, “Yeah; if I was any smarter I’d be a restaurateur”. Was he deliberately being insulting? No, we were friends; he just let slip his view of what I did for a living.  Not necessarily me, but my profession.

It is unfortunate that people have such a low view of exterminators and I often wonder where this comes from. In Ohio a number of years ago they wanted to give teachers tests to see if they really were qualified to be teachers. I told one teacher at one of my accounts that I didn’t understand why they were so upset; after all, this test was geared to fifth graders. I went on to say that we (exterminators) had to study, take tests and then take continuing education classes in order to be allowed to  continue to do our work. She snorted and said; “That’s ridiculous! You could take anyone and tell them to mix this with that and then have them spray it around”. In other words….any stupid person could do what you do! I thought this was particularly ironic because the Vice Principal thought she was an idiot.

Well, maybe I am an idiot, because I just realized that Blogger has a “Stats” section. I found out that my site has been hit over 20,000 times since July. For some reason they claim that the months May and June have had no hits. I also found it interesting where these hits are coming from. Most of the hits naturally come from the United States, but Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom have hit my site quite a lot. I also have had hits from Afghanistan, Bahrain, Brazil, Columbia, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, India, Israel, Latvia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea and quite a few from Russia.  I wish to thank you all for your interest in my blog. 

Not bad….for a bug man! If I was any smarter I would be a _______ Oh well, you fill in the blank.

The audience and number of hits were upgraded on 12/24/10, and I will upgrade the audience regularly…mostly because that fascinates me.  It is clear to see from the hit locations where poverty, tyranny or both exist.  RK

###

No comments: