Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Tide and John Bolton

By Rich Kozlovich

I've been watching this play out for some time, and I've had misgivings about some of John Bolton's stands and actions. Which bring me to this question. What's this really about?

First, I think it's good to recognize that we really don't know what went on at the White House. Bolton is smart, and stubborn. He's the kind of guy that simply won't back away from a fight, and is a tough fighter. What were the issues that triggered Trump's action? Outside the inner circle of the White House staff, no one really knows.

One thing we can be sure of, Bolton has done some good work for the United States and stepped on the toes of some very bad people who hate America, foreign and domestic. His defense of Israel is legendary at the U.N. Iran applauding his firing should give everyone pause over this. However, I'm convinced the problem with him and Trump is recognizing the Bretton Woods era is over.  And that means not funding every so-called ally and fighting everyone else's wars, but given some of the others working at the White House, and their positions on foreign policy, I'm not sure which is which.

Bolton has vast experience, and he'll be back in the public arena in some form or the other, if for no other reason, he sees the dangers that exist, and calls them like he sees them, and in more cases than not, he'll be right.

One more thing. It bothers me that Bolton offered to resign and then was told he was fired. It's clear to me Trump didn't want him to be allowed to exit gracefully. Trump may come to regret "firing" Bolton, and the way he did it down the road.

The President of the United States has every right to disagree with his advisors and act against their advice, and fire them when they displease him. After all, he's the boss. But in this case, disagreeing with John Bolton is one thing, but choosing to not have him there as the lone voice in the wilderness, may be is serious error in judgment.

On some issues, I've not agreed with John Bolton's hawkish stance. But we really do need to get this. The world is full of go along to get along guys who fail to take the hard stand necessary to win. These guys a dime a dozen and are like spark plugs, easily replaced. But there are few who have the courage to be the rock in the current, or are willing to row against the tide. John Bolton is one of them.

It's always popular to throw away the John Bolton’s of the world, but once the strength they bring to the table is lost, where do you find another heterodox who is a smart, knowledgeable, and capable fighter? One who places the mission ahead of themselves?

I've been involved in my industry's trade associations for over 25 years, and a few years ago I received an award from my state pest control association they actually created for me called "The Rock Award". To become "The Rock" is a long term and often an unpleasant experience. I've always functioned under this rule: "It's not about me, it's about the mission".

I wasn't popular, or even liked, for many years within my trade association's leadership. Not only at the local and state level, but even at the national level. The leadership isn't the association however, and those who row against the tide will find the tide changes, and those who rowed against it will then be in the lead when that happens.  Furthermore, as a result of rowing against the tide, they're intellectually and philosophically in better shape than their adversaries.  I can say with absolute certainty, there are few who have what it takes to be the rock in the current.

Which brings me to my next obvious question. Who will replace Bolton as the heterodox within the administration? Answer: No one! Heterodoxy isn't for the faint of heart, and people like John Bolton aren't as easily replaced as spark plugs. 

Should he have been fired?  Only time will tell us the whole story.

I've linked four articles in today's issue of P and D regarding Bolton's firing.  I think Pam Geller's may be the most insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment