Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Monday, January 7, 2019

Hypocrite of the Year Award

March 1, 2010 by Dan Mitchell @ International Liberty
The Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador (akin to a state governor in the U.S.) defended his decision to get surgery in America with the statement that it was “my heart, my choice, and my health.” This is an admirably libertarian statement, and the “my choice, and my health” part could be the rallying cry for those of us who don’t want government-run healthcare. The only problem is that the Premier is a reprehensible hypocrite who wants to keep Canadian citizens trapped in a statist system even though he was able to escape the system using his personal wealth. To add insult to injury, he is going to try and get taxpayers to reimburse him for his US-based treatment:

An unapologetic Danny Williams says he was aware his trip to the United States for heart surgery earlier this month would spark outcry, but he concluded his personal health trumped any public fallout over the controversial decision. …”This was my heart, my choice and my health,” Williams said late Monday from his condominium in Sarasota, Fla. “I did not sign away my right to get the best possible health care for myself when I entered politics.” …Williams said he didn’t announce his departure south of the border because he didn’t want to create “a media gong show,” but added that criticism would’ve followed him had he chose to have surgery in Canada. “I would’ve been criticized if I had stayed in Canada and had been perceived as jumping a line or a wait list. … I accept that. That’s public life,” he said. …Williams said his decision to go to the U.S. did not reflect any lack of faith in his own province’s health care system. …Williams also said he paid for the treatment, but added he would seek any refunds he would be eligible for in Canada. “If I’m entitled to any reimbursement from any Canadian health care system or any provincial health care system, then obviously I will apply for that as anybody else would,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment